What do we do when a device breaks down? If it’s under warranty, we contact the manufacturer and get it repaired, ultimately without paying anything else. However, if it is out of warranty in most cases, we will have to pay. Even so, this is not always the case and if a device is broken, the truth is that you may not have to pay for the repair!
Did a home appliance break down? You might not even have to pay for the setup!
Most multi-peril home insurance covers the repair of household appliances, however this depends on the causes that led to the breakdown.
What risks does the insurance cover in the event of a breakdown?
According to Selectra, when a device breaks down, the company can take responsibility for repairing the damage, provided it is caused by:
Damage in case of lightning, fire or explosion: Damages are paid up to the limit of the sum insured.
Storms: In the event of strong winds, such as hurricanes or cyclones, in the order of 90 to 100 km/h, and which cause damage to the house and property, excluding tents, shutters, gates and fences.
Malfunctions due to power disturbances: The insurance covers damages resulting from electrical overloads or short circuits.
Flooding or disruption of water supply: Damages caused by the water distribution network are paid by the insurer, as well as in cases of flooding caused by heavy rainfall.
Factors not covered
While multi-peril insurance is a big plus in some cases, it doesn’t cover all the repairs a customer might need. Obviously this will depend on each insurer and also the plan chosen, but again these are the clauses that are usually not included in most packages:
- Repairs of cosmetic damage, rust or corrosion due to wear and tear.
- Devices manufactured for more than 10 years.
- Accidental damage caused by shocks, drops, power surges or liquid leaks.
- Filters that are considered “slow” or in case the open taps are forgotten.
- Theft by family members, maids or at a time when the building is under construction and access may be more vulnerable.
- Household appliances whose sale value exceeds the number determined by the insurer.
- If the device is still under the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Warranties do not cover damage due to scratches, deformation or breakage of non-mechanical or electronic components.
- If the time needed to repair the device exceeds the hours specified for work, the cost should be borne by the customer.
- Some companies do not include the repair of boilers, water heaters or air conditioners.
What alternative do I have to multi-peril insurance?
Multi-peril insurance is a good option for those who want to include both the home and its contents in the same plan, but there are also options for those who are only interested in protecting the life of appliances.
Enough merchantsas Endesa, Gold Energy and Iberdrola, for example, have monthly fees intended only for the repair of those devices surrounding the 4/5€ per month and include the free home visit of a technician and the repair of several appliances, technological devices or electrical installations.
In addition, there are other maintenance and support companies, such as HomeServe, that have other advantages. It is remote assistance or the right to unlimited interventions, which are not normally covered by those who take out multi-risk insurance.